Elevating the role of story in everyday lives
Short Édition is a French publishing house of short literature: poetry, short stories, and flash fiction. In addition to our online platform, we publish fiction around the world via our Short Story Dispensers for the public to enjoy a serendipitous literary experience, free of charge. What better way to overcome those little moments of boredom or enforced waiting in your daily life—at work, on the bus, in the waiting room, or in the peace and quiet of your own home.
Short Édition aims to raise literary awareness, encourage new and emerging writers, and highlight the importance and timelessness of literature.
The Short Story Dispenser
Inspired to promote literature in our ever faster, digital world of screens, we imagined and created the Short Story Dispenser in 2016 to combine the old with the new in offering an ever-changing cache of short stories to offer people unexpected literary moments in their daily lives. Connected to our online platform, the Dispensers print stories of 1, 3 or 5 minutes’ duration onto high-quality paper for the public, free of charge.
Since our impetus in 2011, there are now more than 15 of us, nestled in Our Paris office, and at our headquarters in Grenoble, at the foot of the Alps. In 2018, we established an American subsidiary housed in our satellite office in Philadelphia, PA. Our team consists of every generation, offering a range of skills, and representing various educational backgrounds, allowing us the advantage of an interdisciplinary approach in promoting the age-old craft of storytelling in our digital society.
Fast Facts about Short Édition
- French Publishing House founded in 2011 by 4 co-founders passionate about short stories and poetry
- Offices in Grenoble, Paris (France) and Philadelphia (USA)
- 15+ employees
- Strategic partner: Francis Ford Coppola
- 300+ Short Story Dispensers (new medium, US patented) installed across five continents
- 35M+ readings via Dispenser printouts and on our websites
- Authors have a contract with Short Édition, which protects them, gives Short Édition responsibility for managing their creative output and enables them to receive yearly royalty payments
- Distribution center in Rochester Hills, MI
- Over 160 writing contests organized for our writing community and clients
- 2000+ press articles, reports and interviews from media worldwide
- 60M+ shares and views on social media
Francis Ford Coppola, Our Godfather
For the film director, Francis Ford Coppola, it was love at first sight when he saw an article in The New Yorker about the Short Story Dispenser. He immediately hopped on a plane to Paris to be the first to offer creative writing via the Dispenser in his Zoetrope Café in San Francisco.
“I love to give art for free to people." - Coppola, 2017Not only is Mr. Coppola a Short Édition fan to date, but he has also invested in Short Édition’s capital to feed the company’s international development - We can't thank him enough for his inspiring support!